2020 – 2021
Alsico is a family company with global activity, which aims to offer a sustainable total solution to companies looking for high-quality industrially washable workwear for their wearers.
In every project, Alsico starts from the safety and comfort needs of each wearer and ensures that the clothing respects their identity and conveys the image of the organization. Our approach is aimed at offering our customers a complete service, at a fair price and with an accessible and high-quality product.
The sustainability of the solutions we offer is central to this. Alsico defines sustainability as thorough impact management. We recognize that our activity has an impact on people and the environment and we measure and report these impacts. Based on this, we formulate actions to reduce the impact where it is negative and where possible to create or increase a positive impact.
This includes measures to lead us towards full climate neutrality by 2050, as well as the improvement of our environmental performance and the protection of the environment throughout our production chain according to the precautionary principle, as defined in the Kyoto Protocol and the Lisbon Treaty on the functioning of the EU (art.191, $ 2). We also strive to eliminate all social risks in the chain and to create a circular and traceable product.
Accountability and transparency form the basis when we implement this vision on sustainability. We measure the impact of our activity on the basis of three bottom lines: People (people), Planet (environment) and Profit (economic viability). That means we take full responsibility for the products we make, where and how we make them. This requires transparency; about the origin of our raw materials and about people involved in the production process. We do this through our compliance with the applicable environmental laws and regulations. But also through the human rights due diligence or risk analysis, which we carry out annually to map social and environmental risks throughout our supply chain.
We strive for accountability and transparency in the following basic responsibilities:
1. The quality of our products, which we guarantee and continuously strive to improve through our processes. The ISO 9001 quality management system also sets the scene for a professional management framework, in which responsibilities and obligations are clearly defined. The management monitors compliance with the processes and is responsible for making adjustments where necessary. At the forefront is the integration of the production centers, the quality control that takes place there and the logistical assignments they carry out.
2. We monitor and improve the direct impact we have on the environment – through our products, services and activities – thanks to the environmental management system ISO 14001. This includes compliance with applicable requirements and continuous improvement of our management system. We control our indirect impact on the environment through the purchasing process of our raw materials: we only purchase fabrics and accessories that have an Oekotex 100 certificate. Via a survey with our suppliers we know the origin of yarn and fibers for 75% of the purchase volume. This survey is renewed annually so that we can adjust our risk analysis and associated actions. Our range includes sustainable materials with a demonstrably lower impact in terms of CO2 emissions and water consumption. We will systematically increase the share of this. Thanks to our CO2 measurement, we also know which emissions are associated with our activity. This allows us to set a target to reduce our total CO2 emissions by 30% by 2021 (compared to base year 2016).
3. A safe and healthy workplace, which takes the well-being of the employees as a starting point. Employees must be able to retire as healthy as they started. To this end, Alsico not only offers a safe and healthy working environment, but also opportunities to maintain physical fitness together with colleagues. A high-quality HR policy simultaneously safeguards the psychosocial well-being of employees. Mechanisms have also been installed to avoid any form of undesirable or discriminatory behavior.
4. An open corporate culture, based on an absolute guarantee of labor rights (trade unions, collective bargaining, minimum age, free choice of labor). The aim is for all employees to feel involved and to be able to function motivated in a company culture of honest and open communication. This must lead to harmonious, human relationships between the management of Alsico, the management of each production center and all employees. Everyone must assume responsibility towards customers, employees, management and stakeholders. This can be done by performing his tasks with the goal-oriented attitude to successfully complete the assignment set by Alsico.
5. A social and ethical transparency that aims to exclude any form of corruption and human rights violations throughout the Alsico production chain. As stated in our code of conduct, Alsico does not tolerate any form of child labor, forced labor or corruption in its supply chain. With a view to this, we screen our suppliers and evaluate them on the degree to which they are transparent about their chain. In case of violation of the stated zero-tolerance values, we will enter into a dialogue with a view to concrete actions and in case of unwillingness to stop the cooperation. Alsico, for its part, will provide all necessary information to its customers to guarantee its ethical and social responsibility in the chain.
We ask all employees to make an effort and to take their responsibility so that we can carry out our mission and achieve our objectives in terms of quality, environmental and social management.
Managing Director, Alsico nv